Removal of the Church Organ
Sadly, the majestic Foster and Andrews Organ in our Church was irrepairably damaged by water some years ago. The cost of attemptimg a repair was prohibitive and with heavy hearts, the PCC took the decision to submit an application to remove the organ and permission for this was subsequently granted by the Diocese.
The project took a number of weeks and the following photographs provide an illustration of the work involved
The main organ prior to removal
The side pipes
The organ was manufactured in 1873 by Forster and Andrews of Hull and refurbished in 1914 by Blackett and Howden of Newcastle
The signatures of the original makers and refurbishers
The large wooden box pipes behind the Organ, showing the upper bellows unit (top right)
Another view of the large box pipes (from the opposite angle)
The upper bellows units (x2)
The keyboard with the front panel removed
A rear view of the internal mechanisms after removal of some of the large box pipes - (some of the smaller box pipes are still in place)
Another view of the internal mechanisms, showing the lower bellows (centre)
Some of the large box pipes removed (this picture gives you a scale of the huge size of the pipes - they are quite big and very heavy!)
Another view of the huge box pipes after removal
Removing the upper bellows
Removing the organ's main electrical motor
The main motor after removal
Two of the largest box pipes - huge!
The last box large box pipes ready for removal
Hmm! - need to work out how to get those high box pipes down!
All the lower box pipes have now been removed. The internal pipe chamber is at the top of the picture
The lower main bellows units
Dismantling the internal pipe chamber box
The main pipe chamber unit with all the pipes removed
The last few organ pipes ready to be removed
Time for a quick cuppa and then a bath!!